Thursday, January 13, 2005

Stuck On Book Memes (And Liking It)

I got this from DeAnn's Blog. I had seen it before but I just decided to do it.

Here are the rules:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.
5. Don’t search around and look for the “coolest” book you can find. Do what’s actually next to you.

I would also recommend to link to the person you got it from as well as writing a comment here if you decide to do this meme. That way, everyone - including me - can track where the meme came from and where it goes and read all the lovely out-of-context-sentences. But that's just my suggestion, not necessarily part of the rules.

Now I am kind of cheating. I knew I wanted to do this meme when I was at work and had no 'good' books around, so I waited until today. I'm at work again, but I brought a book to read on the train.

So, here it is, from David Guterson's 'Our Lady of the Forest':
'His black leather belt made creaking sounds.'

Apparently Guterson isn't so fond of long sentences (and quotation marks, for that matter).

And just to give you an idea of how it would have been if hadn't allowed myself to cheat an eensy-weensy tiny little bit:

From Peter Prinz's and Ulla Kirch-Prinz's 'C++ - Lernen and professionell anwenden':
'Zu beachten ist, daß eine do-while-Schleife mit einem Semikolon abzuschließen ist.'

Fun, huh?