Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Ask Jamie: Things Neither You Nor I Want To Know

srah asked: Do you have any traditions in Germany along the lines of wearing "something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue"?

Fortunately I'm not really into the whole traditions thing. I say fortunately because I have read about them in the scary wedding brochure.

I've been to three weddings in my life, one when I was very little, so I don't really remember a lot other than being cute enough to be one of the girls to throw flowers. The second one was the wedding of my clarinet teacher and the third one was Tina and Torsten getting married last October.

And I am happy to say that on both weddings I actually remember traditions were only a sidenote to the whole celebration.

I am also happy to say that we will have none. I repeat: none. Because every tradition I know is crazy. I will give you two examples and then you might know why were you invited to my wedding and would persist on one of the following you would not be friend afterwards. Or maybe you would, but I wouldn't really enjoy what you did to me.

Kidnapping the Bride
Yeah. Right. Kidnapping the bride on the wedding. From what I read it's supposed to work like this: During the celebration a few of the couple's friends kidnap the bride and bring her to a nearby pub. Now the groom is supposed to find her and bring her home. The party may change their location a few times until the groom finds her. He is also supposed to pay all open bills at the pubs he comes in for on his search.

Now, honestly, what a sick game is that? It's my wedding, for god's sake, I don't want to be in a pub. I want to be at my friggin' wedding. Leave me alone. Leave me here! And what's with the paying for the others in the pubs. Are we filthy rich or what? We just spent money on a wedding, most probably on new shoes. On food and drinks. What a friend would steal me from my own wedding and call it a tradition? That's just crazy.

Something I Don't Even Have a Name For
I heard this when someone at my old job talked about a wedding she'd been to. Apparently it's also some kind of tradition to steal some of the bride and groom's possessions and have them do something to get it back. The guests can tell the couple some supposedly amusing things they should do to get their things back.

Guys, there's a word for that: thievery. It's actually a crime. I also don't know where you got the key from, because it wasn't from me. And I have to do what you want to get my things back. How is that supposed to be fun? Again: It's my wedding. Leave me alone. Leave my stuff alone. You can come here and bring me gifts and then you may be allowed to eat and drink until you're sick. But other than that, it's my wedding and I don't want any stupid traditions to spoil it.


Yeah. I'm not really into tradition because most that I know make no sense and are actually not really funny. I like the small traditions, but none of the ones everyone makes a fuss about, because most of the time I don't have a fun time.