Wednesday, February 16, 2005

My Language Skills are Scaring Me

I somehow landed on a computer/technology/whatever Spanish blog with a German title and without a lot of thinking I started reading. Now, I didn't get a lot and I'm not able to translate any of it, but if I am not totally mistaken I understand the gist.

That's scary. I never had a single lesson of Spanish in my whole life. I can understand a lot because I was close to fluent in French about a hundred years ago.

It's a little bit like reading Dutch. About ten years ago or so we were on vacation in France and we had rented a summer house which belonged to Dutch people, so they were some Dutch books lying around. In one of my pathetic attempts to prove everybody (and me in particular) how incredibly smart I am I started reading one of them. I made it through the whole book and understood most of it.

Now my Spanish reading skills aren't quite as good, but they certainly are better than they should be given my never learning it. Ever.

And by the way, yes, this is just another pathetic attempt to prove what an incredibly smart and clever girl I am.