Saturday, February 12, 2005

Commercial Mysteries

There was this one TV commercial I never understood. They said that with their new detergent you could save time and hence have more time for whatever there is you want to do because your laundry would be done sooner.

Now, here's the question: Why would I save time because my laundry is done sooner?

I don't know about other people but once I push the on-button on my washing machine I can do pretty much anything I want to, because honestly... I don't watch my washing machine while it is doing its work. If it's done in two hours I have two hours completely at my disposal. If it's done in three hours I have three hours.

I heard that you were always supposed to stay at home while your washing machine is running, just in case something breaks and turns your apartment into a swimming-pool, so I never do anything that involves staying away from home too long, but then again I actually have gone grocery shopping while my washing machine was running, so what's the matter?

I don't save any time just because my laundry is done faster. I don't even really care how long it takes, I only care if I have to coordinate doing the laundry with cooking, because we can't have both the washing machine and the stove running, at least if we like our cables unburned and therefore the risk of our kitchen bursting into flames at a minimum.

If anyone knows better, please illuminate me, but I think it's one of those commercial things, where they try to convince me with a pretty good argument, which really isn't a good argument at all. It's not even a real argument.

It's just... I mean...
Saving time just sounds so good.

I think I'm gonna buy that frickin' detergent.