Friday, February 11, 2005

It's Not Always a Matter of Taste

There are some things that I think there should be no disagreement on.

Like 'Veronica Mars is a great show'. For example.

Or 'Sushi is great'. But I won't mind so much if you disagree on that, because in the end it means more sushi for me.

Now, the boyfriend after all didn't have quite the fantastic summers-spent-doing-nothing childhood I had. He didn't have a sucky childhood, but being a preacher's son and thus growing up in a very religious family has its disadvantages. So I'm told.

Not-so-fun-facts are that he went to the movies the first time when he was sixteen to watch 'Once Upon A Time In America', if you don't count the one time he was allowed to go the movies as a kid to see 'The Rescuers' at somebody else's birthday party.

That said he wasn't exactly overwhelmed with children's books the way that I was. So I understand that there will always be some differences due to our very different upbringing.

What I don't understand is that up to this day and despite my repeated tries to make him see the truth, he still thinks that Astrid Lindgren's 'Karlson on the Roof' is a great book. Which it is not. Because the boy, Karlson, sucks. He's fat, noisy, has a stupid propeller on his back and above all is a selfish little brat. There's nothing nice about this kid. Nada. Rien. Nichts und wieder nichts.

You can take pretty much any other book that she's written (and I have read a lot of them) and they're better, mostly because the characters are actually agreeable up to the point of being nice, charming and making you wish you were them.

My very favorites are the 'Noisy Village' books, but I would say that we can disagree on that as long as you're not trying to bring Karlson back into the favorites-game.

But the boyfriend won't be convinced. I've tried hard and often, but he just won't see. I love him nonetheless, but I fear we'll always have this subject to disagree on.