Friday, April 01, 2005

Random Pop-Culture Related Thoughts

My books came today. More books for my nightstand make Jamie happy. I'm currently reading 'Born Confused' and am enjoying it. It's very different from most of the books I recently read, mostly because it's very fresh and modern, from the view of a seventeen-year-old girl in today's America.

I also finished Jane Eyre and want to say at least two things about it. First of all I loved that book. I was afraid that it would be kind of hard to read with somewhat tedious passages, but it never, never was. At all. It was a really very sweet and great and easy to read. (I guess the 'Vanity Fair' experience had an influence on me.) Secondly, yeah, it would have been great to have read it before 'The Eyre Affair', but it didn't matter too much. I was a little bit spoiled, but it was also fun to read a passage and remembering the same thing happening in that other book. Another reason, by the way, why I consider 'The Eyre Affair' an amazing book.

Some words on music now.

While reading Jane Eyre I suddenly remembered a CD I bought some time ago by a certain Kate St John. Whoever has read Jane Eyre might be able to guess why. Now, since you all know that I have a great taste in music, I advise you to go and check her out. I got Second Sight and one of my favorites is 'Where The Warm Winds Blows'. Please do.

Also, I realize that I need to get me some of Jonatha Brooke's music. Why don't I own a single one of her records? This woman has got a voice to break hearts. Mine for example. What the hell is wrong with me?

And here's a very special one for my friend Caitlin, who, reading one of her recommendations, I have been thinking a lot about lately: There's a version of Patty Griffin's 'Moses' by Melissa Ferrick on my all-time-favorite music blog Womenfolk. You (and yes, you too) should definitely download it.